AUSTRALIAN FINE CHINA
The former home of Australian Fine China was for many decades a centre of craftsmanship and creativity
Viridian & Indigo honour that heritage and bring the same levels of creativity and craftsmanship to the art of living, offering a balance between stylish design and a commitment to community spirit and interaction.
Originally named The Calyx Porcelain and Paint Company, the facility utilised the Perth-Fremantle railway to bring in raw materials and deliver a finished range of domestic chinaware including cups, saucers and bowls and industrial items such as electricity insulators. By 1924 the site contained four kilns and produced more than 5,500 items per day. In 1934 the company was reported as making the best porcelain articles in Australia and serviced Commonwealth and State Governments, the defence forces and leading hotels throughout Australia.
The company underwent a number of names change over the years including Bristile, Wembley Ware and Bristile Fine China, finally culminating in Australian Fine China in 1991. By 2004, with 120 workers producing four million items annually and a catalogue of 800 items, Australian Fine China relocated its operations from Subiaco to Welshpool, releasing the site for redevelopment for residential and recreational use.